Friday, May 21, 2010

Was I really drugged!! Ruffied at 36

I am a mom of three young children. Ages 7, 5, and 2 1/2. The oldest is a girl than two boys. I have an amazing husband and we live in the northwest suburbs of chicago. I have always worked as a graphic designer freelancing out of the house until I found out I was pregnant with my third child. I have taken some time off, only doing small jobs here and there, but starting to go back this summer.

My two younger children are still in preschool, and I have discovered that being a "preschool" mom is worse at times than being back in high school. I have been lucky on one hand that I have made a very nice group of friends, and we all help out with the kids. I wouldn't have made it through these years without them. But there is certainly a fair share of drama that goes with it.

This story is one that still amazes me that how could this have happened! There were a group of couples that were friends from our older children that became friends with a group of 4 couples from my middle child's parents. At first it seemed great. All of us got along and had a really good time being together. So we decided to get together once every couple of months at one of our houses. The first few times were really fun.

This last party started just like all of the others. We all get there carrying our appetizers and bottles of alcohol. The guys with their beer of the month, and girls with vodka and martini shakers. One of the husbands of the "newer" group always decides to inappropriately hit on one of the other women at the party. He is one of those guys who is just creepy. Even his own friends don't like him, and he is clueless. Lets call him Ned. So, he decides to target one of my best friends, we can call her Amy. She kindly brushes off his disgusting comments figuring he has had way to much to drink.

I walk by Amy while she is standing with Ned and taste what she is drinking. It was not good! So, I told her,"I will make you a new drink." I go over to where the bar is set up and begin fixing us new drinks. One of the other dads, martin, comes over who I went to high school with and we start chatting. Ned comes over at some point to talk to us and walks away. Some time had passed and I realized I had not given Amy her drink. I pick the two drinks off of the table and Martin looks at me and says, "what's in it." I answer, "vodka and tonic." With his nicest smile he says, "oh that is for me right." I said, "of course it is." I hand him the drink and make Amy a new one. I walk her drink over to her and go back to my conversation with Martin.

All of a sudden, everything goes into slow motion. I remember looking at Martin and saying wow that was weird. After that I do not remember one thing.

I come bounding happily down the stairs the next morning and Jeremy (my husband) is just looking at me. I walk over to make coffee and greet the kids. He says to me, "how are you feeling this morning." I say, "I am fine." He says, "really, because you were a total mess last night, and Martin got so bad we had to carry him out to the car." At this point my phone rings and it's Amy.

She has the same question for me, and I tell her I am fine. She answers me, "REALLY!" and begins to tell me about when I was in the basement rolling on the floor. I said, "the basement, when was I in the basement?" She asks me a few more questions and I now realize I do not remember anything. I hang up with Amy and Jeremy asks me, "what is the last thing you remember?" I tell him, "talking to Martin and than nothing." Jeremy than picks up the phone and calls Martin. He is the same way. He remembers talking to me, than nothing.

I come to learn that Marting was so bad that he could not speak or stand. They sat him at the dining room table and he was falling out of his chair. Jeremy thought we had smoked or taken something. He couldn't figure out why he couldn't function! Martin tells him, I only had a few drinks. Which was exactly what I had told him. Now Martin is a big guy, and I can put away a lot of vodka, and I still wont roll on the floor.

So, Jeremy says, "you two were totally drugged. I thought it last night, and now I am sure of it." The rest of the day we were trying to piece things together on how or my goodness who could've done this. After many hours of piecing the night back togetherwe knew it had to be Ned. He had sent his wife home to let the babysitter go, which always happens, so he was the only one at the party without a spouse. And we also come to realize the drink I gave to Martin was supposed to go to Amy, who was the real target. I was just happenstance.

Come Monday morning, this did not sit well with me. I went to walgreens and told the pharmacist that I thought I was drugged at a party. That I was fine, but was there any test I could take to confirm it. He askes me a bunch of questions and says I can. I guess some prescriptions can cause a false positive. The only thing I take is an advil once in while. I take the test home, and it is positive for Rohypnol or ruffie. REALLY!!

Jeremy than writes an email to Ned that we know he did this, and we do not ever want anything to do with him again. To never talk or come near our family again. After days the only response we get is that if we do not stop "telling stories" he will sue us for slander.

The fall out from all of this is even more amazing than the fact that I was actually drugged in an intimate group of friends. But to this day I still am amazed at what people do.

The rest is to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment